Holiday Broccoli Salad Recipe #NaturallyCheesyMonday, November 02, 2015
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc.
and its advertiser.
All opinions are mine alone. #NaturallyCheesy #CollectiveBias
This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. Everyone in my family calls it "your broccoli salad" and it's on the suggestion list every time we are putting together a holiday get-together. It adds a little something fresh to balance our the meal and it doesn't require any space in the oven. Bonus, it's even better if you make it the day before! Best of all it includes cheddar cheese, always a favorite in my family!
Originally, this was a copy-cat recipe from Ruby Tuesday's Salad bar, but it's evolved over the years into my own and it's better than ever this year.
We served it just last night at a family gathering with some of my Dad's family we don't see that often. It was fun and relaxed and chaotic and I really hope we can do it more often. You know if you've been here any time at all that we love a big ole get-together.
Save this one for Pinterest, because you are going to want it sitting on the table next to your Turkey and your Christmas Ham this year!
Holiday Broccoli Salad Recipe
- 2 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped.
- 1 half of a Red Onion, minced
- 1/4 cup Bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional but awesome for the holidays!)
- 1 pound Cheddar Cheese (Kraft Natural Cheese will do perfectly)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
INSTRUCTIONS1. Place freshly chopped broccoli and minced red onion in a large bowl
2. Dissolve sugar in hot water and pour over broccoli, let sit for 5-10 minutes.
4. Begin adding all other ingredients, saving Cheese and Mayo for last.
5. Add Cheddar Kraft Natural Cheese gradually.
- Note: 1 pound can be a lot of cheese and if I feels like it's too much, I usually just add a little more broccoli, but you may want to take out a 1/2 cup or so of the cheese to your liking. I love cheese so the more the merrier in my book!
7. Cover and cool in the fridge for at least one hour.
Like I said, we really love this recipe. I could eat it often! I love to hearing people compliment it! The best part, it calls for fresh ingredients but isn't a whole lot of work. You can pick everything up at Walmart and toss it together in just minutes!
Some things that have made this better over the years of perfecting it is adding real bacon. I baked my bacon in the oven according to package directions. I have used real packaged bacon bits in the past and they go-over well for a little time saver. Using real cheese is a must in my house! So, Kraft Natural Cheese is perfect and saves some time too!
I'd love to hear what your favorite side dishes are for the holidays! Leave a comment or a link below so we can all share the goodness.